07 December 2010

Throwback to the 90's

Our newer car (don't know that I'd call it a new car anymore, but it's almost 3 months old) has satellite radio in it. Just like the regular radio, sometimes there's never anything on that you want to listen to. Driving home tonight, I was tuned into the 90's station. Some of the songs brought back very vivid memories of my teenage somewhat angsty years. Here's what I experienced on the 15 minute car ride home:

"You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrissette: I remember being in middle school. I just bought Alanis Morissette's album on a cassette tape as I was not rich enough to purchase anything that looked like a CD at the time. So I had a hand-me-down Walkman that I loved. My mom and I were living with my aunt and my cousin in their apartment for the time being, so I remember falling asleep on my makeshift bed listening to this thinking "Wow, are women really this angry? And why would she ask a man if he was thinking of her while he screwed another woman? She sounds pissed." I would rewind, stop, hit play....nope, not at the beginning yet. Rewind...stop....hit play. I did this so many times that I went through batteries like it was nobody's business.

Fast forward through time and HOLY SHIT Alanis. You were right. Women really ARE this angry at men sometimes. And it's ok. It's funny how things don't make sense when you're too young to understand what it all really means.

"You Make Me Wanna" by Usher: I was in high school. The year before this song came out, I helped one girl get together with a guy she really liked. The guy I really liked ALOT became taken, but that's another heartbreak story. Fastfoward a year and the guy and girl are having problems. I try to remain neutral. We end up walking home together because we lived in the same area and I needed someone to walk home with. Little did I know, he started to like me, but at the same time, he was breaking up with his girlfriend.....for me (how do we have so much fuckin drama in high school, jeeeeeeez). A few weeks later, we slowly started dating and I was in love. Until the next year when he broke up with me stating the reason, "I'm just not in love with you anymore." He also broke up with me over AOL Chat (remember AOL chat??) instead of being a man about it. It's ok though. He actually turned out to be gay later on down the road (how MUCH later, I have no idea....) and I think he's happily engaged now to another guy. Good for you. You still suck for being immature.


I love little moments that conjure of memories of the past.

5 comments:

  1. LMFAO!!!!! and i was there for EVERY second. i know someone who got an invite to the wedding. i say we crash! HALF STEP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely and totally down with that! I can one up you on the half step by doing the little foot dance back and forth where we go in opposite directions of each other...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, fast forward and now Alanis Morisette is 36 and pregnant and talking about organic baby food and strollers. What happened to all the oral sex in the movie theaters, Alanis?

    Usher grew up, married his mother, then divorced her. I always thought Usher was really overrated.

    I was a fan of Bell Biv DeVoe, myself. I always knew they would make it big. Who's right now?

    Not the best people to be giving relationship advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lexi, you and I were listening to that station at exactly the same time. I was at the ice rink, and that's the station they keep the music on when there's no DJ. I knew it was time to leave the ice when they started playing "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rad! I have been listening to a bunch of '90s flashbacks lately too. Some of the music is so cheeseball, I can't believe I used to love those songs. And some of them are still SO GOOD and take me right back to those days of the dumbest drama ever.

    I dated a COUPLE of gay guys in the '90s. Oops. One of them was in love with my now-husband. Hahaha. He was dating me to get back at Mr. G for scorning his love, because he knew Mr. G had a crush on me. Haha! I may be biased, but I'm pretty sure the teenagers of the '90s had the most intense, angsty, idiotic drama of any other generation.

    "Seventeen and strung out on confusion!" (Green Day)

    ReplyDelete