04 May 2011

Reflections, Genuflections, and Buddy Christ

This year for Lent, I gave up swearing. How did it go? Not so good. Not so good........
BUT...

I did make an effort to silently pray more. I also made an effort to really take time to think about things that crossed my mind. Sometimes I found an answer and sometimes I didn't. But I forced myself to confront issues in my mind that I tucked away figuring that at some point, someone would pick up the trash and dispose of it (kinda like trash day in your town). Lent is a time of self-denial, forgiveness, being kind to others, etc. And Easter? Well Easter just isn't on Sunday people. It's a SEASON for the church. It's 50 days long. So I saved a ton of money buying Easter candy a week after Easter Sunday because it's dirt cheap. But I digress...

I wanted to share with you some of the things I thought about or did during Lent. I'm not sharing this as a way to pay myself on the back or anything of the sort, but clearly I keep a blog, which means I enjoy sharing my random thoughts with random strangers. So here we go:
  • I tried very hard not to judge my cousins, the seasonal Catholics. Because when I go to church I don't always pay attention you know? So it's not my place to judge you based on the fact that I only see you at Mass on Easter Sunday and Christmas Eve. But I WILL judge you based on the fact that you took up 2 parking spaces in the church parking lot.
  • If you are familiar with the Profession of Faith, you know that we recite that Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate. But I FINALLY paid attention to the reading of the Passion (right?! snap.) and it's kinda not true. I mean, I get that he was crucified while P.P. was governing, but he totally said that he didn't want anything to do with the crucifixion and that he washed his hands of it. He told the Jews it was up to them. And they were all like "do away with Jesus." So I feel like I'm professing the bended truth.
  • The old guy at church that gives Jesus a thumbs up after he's done doing the sign of the Cross? Love him. It's like he really thinks Jesus and him wear BFF necklaces or something.
  • You can't trust everyone. As much as I'd like to have 100% faith in people, I've realized that I've been burned in the past. I prayed on it a little. I realized that I should still have 100% faith in people, but that having trust in someone would take a bit more effort. 
  • Nothing is more important than family. I would do anything for my baby girl. I go mama crazy if anyone says something rude to my husband or if someone accidentally bumps into Jovie's stroller. I also realize this when I get stressed out about work or something else. I remember that when I see Jovie's toothless smile at the end of the day, nothing else matters really. As long as I can provide for her and ManLosch, I'm alright.
  • Things I ponder during Mass: Did Jesus have more than one pair of sandals? Did he have a barber? How pissed was Joseph initially when Mary just said 'Oh hey cutie, I'm preggo and it's not yours?' Also, wow, what a man to raise the son of God. Props.
  • Please don't regurgitate bits of your Jeezit into the wine. It's nasty. I get that we take the body and blood of Jesus, but not all together at the very same time.
  • I started a journal for Jovie. I write in it a few times a week about things I've done, things she's done, and just general crap. My mom started one for me when I was in middle school and then gave it to me the day she dropped me off at college. Reading her entries about me and things we did are great. They made me laugh and cry. I want the same for my daughter too. It's an amazing reflection tool.
  • I know I need to go to confession. I really do. What's keeping me from going? I confess my sins during prayer at church, but why am I so hesitant to pony them up in a dark booth?
That's totally not even everything that went on in my little brain this season. I want to try really hard to be a better person you know? I want to leave this Earth knowing that I made people happy and brought joy into their lives (which is why I like to make you all laugh). This isn't just a Lenten/Easter project. This is like, a whole Lexi makeover. Get ready!

    1 comment:

    1. LOL! I tried to give up swearing, too. I probably reduced the swearing by 75%. I'm afraid Gallica is getting close to being able to imitate sounds.

      I don't think the Profession of Faith is off. It's the Passion play thing that's a little "bent." The Romans kept very good records of what went on during Pilate's time, and the execution of Jesus is included. The handful of Jews involved weren't pushing for execution. They were just mad that Jesus threw over tables in the Temple and wanted him bounced out--but not killed. They just thought he was some annoying bum on a rampage. PP, on the other hand, was a well known sadist who loved torturing and killing folks at any opportunity. The Romans (yeah, the big bad Romans) couldn't even stomach him after awhile and fired him from his post because he was too bloodthirsty. Later, when the Passion was written, early Greek Christians wanted to separate themselves from the uncool Jews, so they spun the story to make it the Jews, not the ubercool Romans, who wanted to kill Jesus. Politics, politics.

      Like Marie, I am also loving the old man who gives the thumbs up to Jesus. So cute.

      Also so cute: Baby smiles! I told Gallica that I wanted some baby smiles for Mothers' Day. I think she'll come through. :D

      ReplyDelete