28 November 2010

I'm A Terrible Catholic

ManLosch and I went to Mass today (which is the norm for a Sunday morning for us if you haven't caught on by now). I finally settled my preggosaurus ass in the pew and ManLosch asked me "Do you want the book?"

See, I love the book. The book has all the songs and all of the readings. So while the lector reads, I read the book...and yes sometimes I read ahead. Because I'm 5 years old and I make more of a connection when I'm able to read while listening. Also, this is just an excuse for me to say that I heard the readings and gospel because I already read it.

So back to the book. Advent started today which makes it a new liturgical year (BAM! I learned something ya'll....bust it). We got new books. Brand new spanking books. Which means the kids haven't coughed on them, or colored in them with their crayons. I opened it, all happy to follow along, and wait...a...minute. What is this? Why is there only a synopsis of the reading AND NOT THE FULL READING?!?! WTF?! I quickly showed it to ManLosch and shrugged my shoulders indicating a sort of "What is going on" emotion. He said, "It's the reading, see where they listed Isaiah and the number at the top? It's just a short summary, not the whole reading." Immediate response? "This is bullshi-nezzzzzz." And somewhat loudly. ManLosch's eyes widened like "no this b*tch did not just curse in church." But I said, "WHAT? I said bullishnezz."

I think I'm going to have to find my own "Breaking Bread" book and bring it to church with me that has the entire readings. I won't survive Mass without the book! Okay, maybe I will. But I won't like it.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Now you're a bad Catholic, too! I used to read ahead, too. It eased the boredom when I was a kid. Now, I like the Mexican churches better because the priest is fiery and never puts me to sleep.

    Awww...Pretty soon you'll be going to a baptism...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexican Mass is always more fun, and from experience, Mass in Spanish was always better than English. I particularly have a soft sport for my last Anglo priest, who spoke excellent Spanish with a darling accent!

    I realize this doesn't particularly work for yoooooooou...but you might want to go to a student parish, those ones are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll look out for one in Illini-wah, but we didnt even have a book this week... or maybe we did but only one per pew (whats that about)

    I thought you were going to say to stole/ borrowed a book since they hadnt been coughed on yet. Which isnt actually a bad idea if you remember to bring it with you the next week... But catholics arent too keen on the stealing ;)

    ReplyDelete