30 June 2009

Blast From My Past

I left work early because I was just feeling blah. I've been having alot of those days lately. So I came home, checked email, plopped on the couch and began my downward spiral into lazyville. I checked to see if Facebook had anything for me and I noticed that I had 2 new friends. Now normally, I don't go crazy about this, but these were two very good friends from working together and grad school. One, we shall call David (which is totally his real name), and the other I have always nicknamed Borics. Well, I checked David's status and I read that he had just taken the comps. This status threw me back into the first week of July 06 and a few weeks before that, leading up to the time I had to take the comps.

So let me backtrack people. The comps were my Comprehensive Exam that I needed to pass in order for UM to grant me the undisputed title of Master Losch (technically Master Franklin). We ALL had to take the comps to completely finish the program. You could walk in May and look all happy and proud, but that was just for show. If you didn't pass the comps, then you walking in May didn't mean SHIT. The comps were a 6 hour exam, all essay writing. You got a break for lunch and that was it. And who was really concentrating on lunch when you were trying to remember the different kinds of identity crises a college student could face and the pros and cons of decentralized and centralized higher education institutions (yea, beats me).

I wanted to share with you all, the week before my comps. Because it was a shitshow of a lifetime. I had been studying diligently up and until then, but the week of, you fall into a tailspin. It just happens. You f*ckin lose it. I had index cards all over the bed that I couldn't find Ryan if he was in it. I took the week off of work. I may or may not have gone a day or 2 without a shower. Ryan would stop by on lunch breaks to check in on me because from Monday until the day of the comps(Friday), I DID NOT LEAVE THE APARTMENT. I looked like roadkill. I also developed some serious cramps and I'll spare you the rest of what women go through every so often. One day, Ryan came home to make me lunch because I had forgotten to eat. He had to leave to go back to work, and I started crying. Bawling, if you will. I said "I know you aren't leaving me. WAIT YOU CAN'T GO! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! NO NO PLEASE DONT LEAVE ME! I CAN'T DO THIS, PLEASE DON'T GO." And he was only going back to work. He might have contemplated asking for his ring back at that point because he saw my true psychosis in that moment.

Well, overall, the comps weren't terrible. They were actually just awful. When we finished, I left with a friend, Erin, who was house sitting a beautiful house across the street from campus. We went to get Thai food at a fave spot and barely talked because we understood that we both had just been traumatized and then went back to that house to dog-sit for the night, watch movies, and eat junk food.

A month and a half later, I officially became Master Franklin (now Master Losch, THANKS). So I can hear you in the background. "Lexi, why did you just share this pointless story with us?" Well I'll tell you.

I DON'T KNOW.

It was just a story. Jeez. Don't get bent out of shape. :)

2 comments:

  1. I gave you the ring after two and a half years together. I'd seen the real you by then. I don't think I was going to take back the ring. You might have shanked me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then you married a raging BITCH. Godspeed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete