10 April 2010

Literary Kind of Day

I got up nice and late today. The intention was to go to Brookline Booksmith to buy some books and then make my way to Macy's to take advantage of the bra sale (because let's face it ladies, buying bras isn't fun but it's gotta be done, even for the Itty Bitty Committee that I'm on), and then go to the Nikki Giovanni event I had tickets for.

What happened? I made it to Brookline Booksmith and wondered why there was a line outside. Oh well, I thought to myself and walked in. I started perusing the Bargain Fiction section and when I look up again, fuckin' CHELSEA HANDLER is staring me in the face. I nearly shit my pants. I guess she was doing a book signing there. But you couldn't take pictures and all she was doing was signing the books. Now, if you know me, you know that I am thin. And I get offended when people tell me "You need to eat a cheeseburger" or something of the like that's very hurtful. I'm naturally thin and I hate it, but it is what it is. But Chelsea Handler is not meant to be stick thin and she looked like someone sucked the cheeseburger out of her and gave it to her bodyguard instead. Her cheeks looked sunken in and she just didn't look as pretty and fresh. I dunno. Either way, the bookstore immediately got crazy and luckily ManLosch met me there before I busted out my Mr. Miyagi moves.

We were both starving, so we got some lunch at Coolidge Corner and then hopped on the train back into downtown to go to Macy's. Well the train broke down right before the Park Street station (which is were we needed to get off, and when I say right before? I really mean like a few feet from the station). I didn't want to push the time, so we skipped bra shopping (oh darn) and went straight to Cambridge, where I bought the Nikki Giovanni book I wanted (but already read) before heading to the event. Her readings and conversation were just excellent. Drool. Even ManLosch enjoyed it and she had everyone laughing and feeling like we were talking to our sistafriend. And the best part? She's amazingly beautiful, signed my book, and let me take a picture with her.
Yea I'm cheesin. SO WHAT?!

Oh yeah, and the bra shopping? We attempted it after the reading with no luck. Tomorrow maybe.

I love books.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, that's great! Meeting REAL authors is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean "Even ManLosch liked it"? I don't like the implications of that. Like I'm not edumacated or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to read that you met a great author. One day Lexi, someone's gonna blog about meeting YOU at YOUR book signing ;-)

    ReplyDelete