06 February 2011

Judy, Pick Up The Sock

Did you ever watch "Friends?" If so, do you remember the episode where it was Phoebe's birthday and everyone was late to her birthday dinner? Rachel and Ross accidentally lock Emma in the apartment and his mom Judy brings the baby with her to the bar at the restaurant because Rachel can't be away from her. The entire time, Rachel is watching the fact that Judy is NOT watching the baby. She snaps at her and says "Look alive Judy!" and when Emma drops her sock, she goes crazy while in the middle of giving Phoebe a birthday toast. So Phoebe yells at Judy, "PICK UP THE SOCK JUDY, PICK UP THE SOCK!!"

As a new mother, I feel EXACTLY like this. Anyone else who is holding my child or just touching her makes me anxious. If Jovie is drooling and no one has cleaned it up in 5 seconds, I start shaking my leg and mumbling to myself and then I just grab the baby myself. I can't help it and it drives me insane. I admit that sometimes I'm even like this with ManLosch. I mean, I completely get that we're new parents and we don't know everything. But I do know this: Jovie Sophia Losch is OUR baby. Colicky, refluxy, possible milk allergy Jovie is our daughter and while we may not know everything, we DO know our daughter. And right now, that's all we need until everything else figures itself out. So if you've ever held/cared for Jovie or you might in the future, take heed. Look alive and pick up the sock.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Mama! I know how you feel. I have to make a really conscious effort not to pick at people for every little thing when they are holding or caring for J. Sophia 2. In fact, just yesterday she was wearing little furry boots and my aunt was holding her and one of them fell off, and I had to bite my cheeks to keep from freaking out and shoving it back on her foot that very second. Her foot is bare! OMG! She'll catch pneumonia and DIE! But not really. :)

    ReplyDelete