25 October 2009

Good Hair

I saw the documentary "Good Hair" a few hours ago (which by the way, is only playing in like 3 theatres around Boston, and when I say around Boston, I mean like 45 minutes outside of downtown). If you ever had any questions about black hair and/or black women and their hair, you should definitely go see it. It's a good mix of fact, opinion, and humor (Chris Rock.....so c'mon).

It's sad though, when you see 4 year old girls getting their hair permed and saying that all girls should get their hair permed because "everyone does it" or "because it's the right thing to do." I mean, WHAT? One part of the documentary also showed Chris Rock trying to sell black hair to shops instead of the human Indian hair most women wear. He asked one guy what was wrong with it and said "What? Are you afraid that if someone buys and wears this black hair, they'll get sickle cell anemia?" AND THE GUY SAID YES!!!! I won't spoil anymore of it if you plan to go see it.

I also suggest that you read some of the reviews of it. Very mixed and uh....let's just say discussion starters.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Just got your message for Toronto... for some reason, I can't email you back? This will have to do.
    Unfortunately... I've never been in the Toronto area!!! It's only 5 hours from where we live... but for some reason or another, I've never made it there. We plan on going sometime soon tho... So yeah, I don't really have any advice!! Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete