14 March 2010

Grub Gone Blue-ish

I didn't blog about the Grub Gone...Blue event from Friday evening. I had an amazing time. I took my friend DiDi, as you needed tickets for the event. It was for the contest I entered and the two winners got to read their entries. No I didn't win, but hey, writing is about rejection. I was thrilled with myself that I actually submitted an entry. I feel like it's a great step forward.

The winners read (which I thought were so-so), and a few others read. Then Diana Joseph, author of "I'm Sorry You Feel That Way" read from that book. What's even more awesome about that is that I have that book on my bookshelf and it's waiting to be read. I'm just sad that I didn't have the book with me for her to sign. The room was PACKED but DiDi and I crammed ourselves on the floor by the open window and sucked it up. After those readings, there was a break (not to mention beer and snacks) before the Open Mic portion. DiDi and I decided to stick around for some of the Open Mic readings and met a guy named Jameson. Who meets people named Jameson?? WE DO. At writer's events. :-)

The Open Mic? WAS HORRRRRIBLE. OMG. DiDi and I had to do everything from choking on our own vomit. Ok, it wasn't that bad. But it was a wonderful wake up call; to never read work out loud unless it's been read over by at LEAST one other person. I think Open Mic's are great because it's an informal way to workshop your work out loud, but still. That doesn't mean everything is great. DiDi looked at my beer and said, "Oh my God, you aren't finished yet...I don't know how much more of this I can take" in between laughs. So I downed the rest of it and we laughed and talked Open Mic and writing on the walk to the T and on the T ride home. DiDi confirmed that my writing was way better than the Open Mic stuff and it felt good. I smiled on the inside and I'm still smiling.

Awesome night ya'll.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your night, Lexi. Thanks for taking us along. - billgoodall

    ReplyDelete
  2. why Blue-ish? Is it because there blue is more on the violet side? 'cause it it. :) Sounds like fun. thanks for sharing, felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete