18 March 2010

Who Wins?

I was on the bus coming from Harvard Square tonight with ManLosch. It was full, not packed. There were some empty seats in the back. Well in the back there was an older woman sitting and a younger woman with her iPod on and it was REALLY loud. All of a sudden, the older woman turned to the younger woman and says, "Excuse me but can you PLEASE turn that down? Miss? Miss? Can you please turn it down?" The younger woman says "Uhh." The older woman says "I have a really bad headache and your music is too loud." The younger woman says, "Well why don't you just sit over there in THAT seat?" The older woman says, "Because I'm sitting here. I'm not moving."

I think the younger woman turned it down very little. So I asked ManLosch what he thought when we got off the bus. I said, "Who do you think wins? The woman who had the headache or the iPod wearer?" He said,"I side more with the woman with the headache, but only because I don't like obnoxious music that's really loud when I'm on the bus." I said, "Well aren't they BOTH being a little pretentious? Because I think of it this way: if I were the iPod wearer, I honestly wouldn't care that she had a headache, sounds like a personal problem. But on the other hand, there's the rule for the T that says you can't disturb other people with loud music, etc. I get both sides." I think in the end though, I agree with ManLosch. I've also been the victim of someone listening to their iPod WAY too loud and it was super annoying especially when I can't hear my own music.

So what do you think? Who wins?

7 comments:

  1. I hate being on an airplane and being able to hear someone's music when they have headphones/earbuds. Obviously, if I can hear it across the aisle with the engines rolling and changes in cabin pressure, it's too damned loud. And then I like to picture that person in 5 years wearing hearing aids due to ear abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I win for the lack of public transportation in VA. But honestly. It's a lose-lose. The annoying iPodian can't enjoy her music, and Ms. Migraine will still have a headache regardless of said music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and Joey were just talking about this same situation this morning. There is a dude on the shuttle who listens to his music WAY loud. It pisses me off. But I don't speak up because the way I figure it...in twenty years I won't be deaf. Therefore I WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The woman with the headache wins. Rocking your boombox on your shoulder for everyone to hear went out a long time ago for good reason. Headphones should mean I don't have to listen the music of 5 different people on the train!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would side with the old lady, just because it sucks to have someone play loud music when you don't want to hear it yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My personal favorite is when people are rocking instrumental music or showtunes really loud for everyone to hear. I know it's just a stereotype, but for some reason that is way more humorous than someone pumping rap or punk rock, because it's more unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure how you can write up this blog post without referencing this: (You don't fuck with old people on buses) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Gud91X5lc

    ReplyDelete