21 March 2010

The Random Moments

Last night after getting an awesome soul food dinner, ManLosch and I were driving back home and I started talking about my grandmother and all of the random things she likes to say. I then remembered, very clearly, the moment where she denounced Catholicism in front of ManLosch and myself. ManLosch and I had been dating about 8 months at that point and she was talking about the priests who had "bad-touched" the little boys, which led her to say how horrible Catholics were. She did not know that ManLosch was Catholic. So I said, "Uhhh, Grammie. Ryan is Catholic." We sat there in silence. She said, "Oh well, they ALL aren't bad, but I mean, you can't ignore the little boys."

Those kinds of moments I remember very clearly; like the facial expressions, the feeling I had in the pit of my stomach, just EVERYTHING about it. It's a random moment, but I remember it very clearly. We all have those kinds of memories. Here are just a few more very clear memories I have:
  • Coming back from my first off campus party in my freshman year of college, drunk, in lust, and peeing in the bushes outside of the Wellness Center because I couldn't hold it anymore.
  • My first UM vs. FSU football game. Wide Right. It felt like 100 degrees out in my band uniform. I remember that being my first noon game in Miami in polyester. I nearly fainted from dehydration. I can still feel the sticky t-shirt on my back, waiting for the bus to come, laying in someone's lap after the game because I felt so horrible.
  • My baptism, confirmation, and First Communion as an adult. My Miami family came out to support me. It's the only time when you get bibles as gifts as an adult.
  • The time I fell down the steps of the Merrick Building during the rain with my Burger King breakfast. Luckily the only person who saw me was the cleaning lady and I think she was little too stunned to ask if I was alright. And I fell on my ass. It hurt. Alot.
  • The day I picked LoschDog up from his surgery. He hobbled out to me and never looked so happy to see his mama. I honestly cried when I saw him.
  • One afternoon in high school where my best friend Marcus found a campaign hat in my mothers closet and decided to wear it to the store. While crossing a bridge, he pretended to wave and people started honking. They thought he was seriously campaigning.
And I'd totally share more, except my laptop is a piece of crap and it took me a REAL long time to post this. What other moments do you remember like yesterday?

2 comments:

  1. So, I am inspired, and here's my little list of things I remember like they happened yesterday:
    - Visiting Ripon College and knowing this was the school for me.
    - My sister veronica's birth.
    - The passing of my grandparents, all three of them and how i felt each time.
    -Spending time with my grandma Henry while she was in the hospital.
    -My great grandmother holding my hand as I helped into her church for mass, and she told me "Your hands are so soft"
    -My dog Chiqui and my cat bootes, Chiqui would lay next to me on the floor, and would place my hand of the floor and she would rest her head in my hand and we would sleep like that all night. Bootes and I use to play cat and mouse...I was the mouse and he chased me every where...I would laugh for hours and I swear he was smiling the whole time.
    -My first time on stage playing Jesus for Jesus Christ Super star, the cross beam fell and sang through the whole acted holding the cross up with my fingers as the nails were driving into my hands...ouch!!!

    Wow...that was fun...and you are right there are so many more...thanks for the inspiration!
    DLH

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMFAO!!!!!!!! that was AMAZING! fun times. fun times, indeed.

    don't forget about grandma's "goodies". ::wink wink::

    ReplyDelete