06 December 2009

Christmas Music Errrrwhere

ManLosch and I went to a Christmas concert at Harvard last night. It was free and he loves anything Christmas related, so we went. The group was called Kuumba. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but this is what I experienced:
Church
A Charity Event
A Black Spiritual
A Christmas Concert

At some points, I got a little confused, but otherwise, it was pretty decent. The group was also fairly diverse; not just black folk. An Asian. Some white people. Ya know. It was a pretty decent mix. And the audience? Well we just looked like one big UNICEF holiday card. My only complaint? During the "spiritual" songs, you can't really understand any other words besides "Jesus" and "Amen."

There was this dude though. We named him Jesse. I dunno, he looked like a Jesse. And he was the perfect example of white people with no rhythm. Again, I'm not racist. I can't be. The hubs is my piece of white chocolate. But let's get something straight. There is a large population of people of the Caucasian persuasion that have NO rhythm. Or that struggle with it. Those with a musical background have a better chance at it and usually succeed enough to get by (i.e. ManLosch.....he can stand his own and is no longer afraid to bust a freakin move with me). But those that clap on the "1" and the "3?" Those are the ones that are struggling. If you don't know what I'm talking about......well. I'll explain in more detail later if you need me to.

ManLosch and I have an ode to all those white men in the club who try to dance with women and can't dance for the life of them. We dance to the song "Don't Call Me Baby" by Madison Avenue and the dance is called "Whitey In The Club." It's fairly funny. And yes. We're fairly dorks. But this is something that Jesse will struggle with when he's older if he doesn't get a lesson or two right now. And I mean RIGHT NOW.

Otherwise, you will all be forced to watch people who try to dance by shrugging their shoulders all lopsided and clapping off beat. And when it's done to Christmas music? Santa and his posse would NOT approve.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love "Caucasian persuasion"...if I'm not mistaken, it's a little like Latin Fusion, but a lot let coordinated :)

    ReplyDelete