29 November 2009

Chrismahanukwanzakah Is Upon Us

Ahh the holiday season. Where have you been all my life? I love you so, please don't go. The screaming kids, the angry parents. It's like blog-material heaven!!!!

ManLosch and I were on our way to Mass this morning and I put some Christmas music on in the car. Well it was one of the stations that plays nonstop Christmas music until the new year, and I know how much he likes it, so I put it on that station. The song that came on was "Feliz Navidad." And the part that everyone usually joins in? "I WANT TO WISH YOU A MERRRRY CHRISTMAS." And I thought, "Well nowadays, you can't really wish ANYONE a Merry Christmas." These days, it's inappropriate to wish someone a Merry Christmas, because God forbid they don't celebrate Christmas. They may be Jewish, they may be atheist, who knows? So, to be politcally correct, we say...we print on cards....we greet people with "Happy Holidays."

Look, I'm sorry. But I celebrate Christmas. And I think it's alright to say "Merry Christmas" and print that on your cards. If you're speaking to someone that you KNOW is Jewish or doesn't observe, then I mean, yea don't be a jackass. But about 75% of Americans still call themselves Christian and in 2008, about 93% of Americans said they celebrate Christmas! Because if you WANT to get all high and mighty about this, then I'll say "Um, why didn't anyone wish me a 'Happy Kwanzaa'??" ManLosch and I were having a conversation about this and he said "I'm not going to be offended if someone comes up to me and says 'Happy Hanukkah.' It's just another celebration, it's not offensive." I mean, again, I'm not going to go to Long Island and say "Merry Christmas Hebrews and Shebrews!!"

But the point is, IT'S OK PEOPLE. You can say whatever makes you comfortable and if someone is offended, they'll tell you, you retract your statement, wish them a Happy (insert holiday here) and everyone continues with their shopping and crying. The whole point of the season is about giving; giving to those less fortunate, giving to your friends and family in whatever way you can. So even if you wish me a Happy Hanukkah, it won't matter. I'll say thank you and STILL celebrate on the 25th. Lighten up America. It's about the season....not just the day.


And while we're on it....I'm banning ALL Christmas sweaters.



2 comments:

  1. Okay I want to say that I personally love that song and there are a few others, but I want to wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! We need more Americans like you.

    ReplyDelete