27 November 2009

Damn You Karma

ManLosch and I went to the mall today. Even AFTER I said "We aren't going to participate in Black Friday," we participated in Black Friday. It wasn't that bad though; we went a little later and went to Rhode Island to shop. :)

So anywho, we're in a shop and I'm about to purchase an item, and ManLosch looks down and says, "Hey someone dropped a dollar." We were like "Hmm ok." Then we were like "Well it's a dollar, we'll just pick it up." Holy crap, it was 1 dollar PLUS 99 dollars. Someone dropped a $100 bill in the store. We practically shat our pants. So I said, "So do we give it to someone?" He said, "Well it's cash. If we give it to the front to ask the store, EVERYONE will run for it." So we lingered in the store for an extra 15 minutes looking for anyone who looked like they lost something. No one. Nothin'. So I checked out and the woman asked "Do you want to donate money to St. Jude's Childrens Hospital? I didn't hear her and ManLosch said," YES. YES YOU DO. JUST DO IT."

So we walked out and I thought, "Well what do we do?" I called my mom and asked her. We weighed every possible option. Cash...in a mall....during the holidays. Really? So we went to the police and asked them and they said, "HA! Merry Christmas...take your lady out for a nice dinner. It's cash. There's not a whole lot you can do about it. But you also don't find alot of people who would have said something or thought about it either."

Soooo in the end...we're $100 richer. But I still feel like I didn't balance out the universe correctly, ya know? It wasn't mine to begin with, but maybe we were meant to find it. I was also told it was a trap. So who really knows? What I DO know, is that we aren't spending the money on ourselves. We found it, but that doesn't mean we should necessarily keep it.

So welcome to my 2nd giveaway of the month. Just comment on this blog about what you'd do with $100 for the holidays and you'll be placed into a random drawing for a $15 Target giftcard. The rules? You have to be a follower, there needs to be 10 or more comments, and the last day to comment will be December 8th (I'm giving a little extra time because of the holidays and the lack of keeping up with posts).

Hopefully karma won't kick my black ass for this. :)

12 comments:

  1. I know that it is the holiday and someone is short 100 bucks, but here is something to keep in mind when you go to the mall during the holiday make sure you do not pull out everything in your pockets/bag/wallet because you may lose something. You and ManLosch are good peeps and this is GOD way of saying have a happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar situation a few years back, and here is what we did with the $50 we found. We went to the bank and got 50 $1 bills and started putting them in the Salvation Army bins, giving them to St. Judes when asked, etc. We left an extra dollar or two in peoples tips while we were out. We used every last dollar to make someone elses holiday a little brighter. And it kind of made me feel like a bit less of a selfish bitch... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!!! I would either leave people big tips - like the Starbucks baristas that have to work on holidays etc. OR I would donate it to the leukemia & lymphoma foundation. My bf is currently raising money with them and its pretty stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see GREAT peeps like you and your husband! Honestly, you should pat yourselves on the back for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I found $100 laying around the store floor I'd grab it up and do a little holiday shopping for a food pantry. $100 at market basket can get you a lotttt of canned goods and non perishable foods to donate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I found $100 I would take my Mexican out for a nice dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Stefanie. My first thought was a food pantry. Times are tough, and yes you could donate it to St. Judes or something like that but a full belly is bomb on a holiday, do you agree?

    Another idea-last year I sponsored a babe for Christmas. My friend organizes a party for less fortunate kids in a convent and I had the sweetest little baby child. I totally fell in lurrrve with her. She was awesome and totally thankful for the time I spent with her and her gifts It really did the trick to fill my heart with the Christmas spirit. I'm not a Scrooge, perse, but I was really looking forward to Christmas this year, because of the way I felt about Christmas last year...so yeah, you could sponsor a child.

    You could also go to a discount store (TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory or even Target, but def. NOT Wal*Mart, that would be negative Karma) and buy some winter gear for a kid, or a coat for a coat drive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... I've never found more than a $20.00 bill - and I saw who dropped it too so I returned it. I don't know what I'd do with the $100., besides wait around to see if anyone looked like they missed it, but you already did that.

    I don't think of it as bad karma. You write a lot of things in here - mostly positive - and maybe it's the universes way of thanking you for all of that positive energy. Hey, someone needs to look up in this down time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous here again.... With a little hope, I can help you all out with the required 10 posts for the drawing to happen. If you notice, I have not wanted to be identified in the past and nor will I now so I guess my following is passive. Good luck to you all and hope the 15 bills can bring joy to someone in your life. BTW - a c-note found is a c-note earned. If I found myself in the same situation, I would use it to make someone else happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was 6, I was running ahead of my family into a restaurant when I stopped dead in my tracks where there was $150 dollars in cash on the sidewalk. My family thought it was wierd that I suddenly stopped but when they saw what I had found, we picked up the money, went into the restaurant (it was clear that it came from a patron) and notified the hostess to let us know if someone came in looking for lost money (We didn't share the amount). By the end of the meal, we had no takers and so at the age of 6, I opened my first savings account.

    If I came across that kind of money again, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. I'll be honest in saying that I might not do anything special with it besides trying to find the owner and then keeping it no one stepped up. What can I say? I'm a saver. However, I know that I'm in a very fortunate state right now compared to so many, so in the event that I do come across "stray cash" from the streets, this post has put some options into perspective.

    I don't think Karma's going to come back at you. Besides, if you didn't pick it up, someone else would have - and who knows who that could have been. Pay it forward, plain & simple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Just catching up on the blogs i missed! Wow! $100. I think its the universe evening the score back in your favor for something that may have happened to you.

    Maybe you could get the kittens you are volunteering for a snack. Or the next time you see someone in line somewhere do something nice buy them a coffee (or whatever they are in line for) But i think then you can get little treat for yourselves. Because the police dude was right! Not many people would have even thought twice! You should be proud you care. I'm proud of you (for the second time today in my blog reading!) Go Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, so you know me..so this will not surprise you. This happened to me once. I think it was $50, but just the same...I found it picked up, and the first opportunity I saw to give the money away, I did. I think it was some local humane society donation. I can't remember. All I know is that I saw it and needed to get rid of it pronto. :) Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete